Do you want to start a new workout program, but aren’t sure if the gym is for you? Don’t worry, it is! Ouray is filled with amazing athletes, and it can feel intimidating to be on the treadmill next to one of them. But local extreme sports athletes had to start somewhere too. We’re lucky to have them here to inspire us.
The Ouray Fitness Center is a welcoming community of people who have very different reasons why they work out and how they do it. Our members and visitors share the space respectfully, and some are willing to offer a tip or two if you have questions about the equipment. In my experience, the hardest part is getting started. Here are some suggestions:
- Talk to your health care provider. It’s a good idea to check in with a health professional before starting a new exercise plan.
- Take a tour. Check out your options at the Fitness Center. We have a climbing wall, cardio equipment, free weights, and much more!
- Do some research. Visit sites like VeryWell.com to find information on how to find your target heart rate, different types of gym equipment, and recommended stretches. The Ouray and Ridgway libraries have several informative books on improving your health.
- Set your goal…..realistically. Set yourself up for success by choosing a goal that you are confident you can achieve.
- Find a workout buddy. Having a friend, family member, or coworker there with you can help you feel less intimidated and have more fun.
- Start gently. The first day in the gym can be exciting and it’s easy to overdo it. But overdoing it could result in several days of feeling incredibly sore or even an injury.
- Keep track. Jot down what you were able to do during your first workout. You can choose to track every workout, or just notice what you are able to do after one week, one month, etc. The difference will help motivate you to keep doing your best.
- Celebrate every success! The only person you need to compete with is yourself. Celebrate each time you are able to improve and challenge yourself to keep it up.
The Ouray Fitness Center is waiting for you!
Article written by Nicole Gans (Lead Cashier)